Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oki Adventures

Nick and I have officially been in Okinawa for a month! I can't believe it has been that long already. I can safely say though, this has been the most productive month of my life!
So far we have:
  • Moved to a new country
  • got new phones and numbers
  • took a new drivers exam (we have to drive on the left side!)
  • purchased two cars and insurance
  • moved into a new apt building
  • bought new dinning room, den, and bedroom furniture
  • almost decorated the entire place (aside from my personal projects in each room)
  • Nick started his new job
  • I am continuing the job search
  • found time to do some island exploring with our friends
There was so much packed into the first week and a half on the island that it flew by! We purchase one of our vehicles from a previous owner off of  http://okinawa.bookoo.com/ where they have great prices (this one was $2,600), you just have to transfer the title and purchase insurance. My mini jeep "baby blue!"
 
As for our other vehicle, we purchased it from B.C. Used Cars. It was a little more expensive ($3,400....I know CHEAPPPP compared to cars back home) but it came with a 1 year warranty and the road tax and insurance are all taken care of at the dealership so it was extremely convenient. Meet "the shagging wagon2!"
 
 
In between getting cell phones, taking our driving test and getting cars we had a few firsts. Our first REAL Japanese sushi IN Japan. It was everything I imagined and more. The tastes and colors were simple and incredibly fresh. Just looking at this picture makes me want more.
 
 
This is American Village. It has American stores and restaraunts and it is very light up at night. A beautiful place but also very touristy.
 
My first Japanese drink from their vending machines.
 
 The vending machines have both hot and cold drinks.
 
For our first "date night" in Japan we decided to try their McDonald's. I know crazy right? It was actually so nice inside and the food was delicious! The presentation of our food very closely matched the menu pictures (unlike back in the U.S.) and the staff actually approached us to throw our trash away! I can't say I'll go back anytime soon as I prefer fresh sushi and Japanese food over fast food but it was quite a unique experience.
 
There is so much to say about what we have discovered in Okinawa, so more stories and adventures of our first month here are soon to come!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment